From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 21:18:16 -0700
Norman Lebrecht ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I don't deny the value of recording as a point of reference.  But I do not
>consider listening to a record to be a genuine musical experience.  Music
>must posses the ability to surprise and shock.  A recording, once heard,
>remains the same for all time.

I think you are being too harsh on records here (for starters you are
saying that people who never go to live concerts never have a genuine
musical experience) and while a recording is indeed a static thing and the
major interpretive points are only likely to surprise and/or shock on the
first time of hearing, I can think of a number of recordings which grow in
stature the more you listen to them.

>Klemperer is reputed to have said: 'Listening to a recording is like going
>to bed with a photograoh of Marilyn Monroe.'

Wasn't this Celibidache?

Deryk Barker