From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:49:32 -0400
On my way to get coffee this morning I was only half listening to the
classical station which was playing what sounded like typical, pleasant
early morning PBS string music.  As I pulled up to the drive in window that
woman on duty said she had been enjoying my music--another illustration
that there is indeed an audience for good music waiting to be discovered.
Anyway, this made me listen a little closer, and I was surprised when the
anouncer said it was the rondo from a string quartet by Bruckner.

I don't associate Bruckner with chamber music, and the bit I heard
certainly sounded lighter and more extroverted than most of his music.
Some composers, obviously, are know for their work in many genres.  But
others seem distinguished as concentrating on one (or possibly two) areas.
For example:  Mahler (symphonies and songs), Verdi (opera), etc.

Any thoughts on this, or on other composers whose reputation rests solidly
on one particular type of music but who also created some distinguished
works in a "foreign" style?

Ed