From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:22:18 -0700
Could anyone please recommend a 'best buy' for that teenage floozy -
Salome.  Recordings are thick on the ground and it is difficult to
know which direction to turn.

I have seen/heard the following:

1.  Bohm/VPO (DG 1974 video) Teresa Stratas an alluring princess.  Looked
the part and sang with conviction.  Director seemed to equate John The
Baptist with a dictator.  Controversial stuff.

2.  Sinopoli/Deustche Opera (DG) Amazing sound engineering and Studer has
a lovely voice, although a litle lacking in characterisation I felt.

3.  Dohnanyi/VPO (Decca) Fine except - is it just me? - Catherine Malfitano
has a very wobbly voice.

Is there a special version out there that I must listen to first before
buying (eg the Bohm live recording recently released on RCA)? Or is one of
those listed above really the one to go for? Many thanks,

David H.
Nottingham, UK