From:
Kim Patrick Clow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 00:36:04 GMT
Again: my question remains not answered: How would using a different font
add any expense to a Naxos release? Zilch.  And it remains a legitimate
question.  [Yet, not a classical music question.  -Dave]

Sure sure, its about the music!  But if it is indeed not about the cover
art, you can ask Klaus to use bar codes with typed titles.  That would
REALLY push the cost of the cds to almost free.

As for the Hyperion versus Naxos: let's not forget the pricer Marco Polo
label (at about the same cost of a Hyperion CD) that uses the dreaded TR
font at the Hyperion expense.  Never mind the issue that there is much on
Hyperion that's not available anywhere else.  Period!  I point to the
Vivaldi Sacred Music Series.  Their Liszt piano music series with Leslie
Howard.

I also mentioned other fine labels such as DG-Archiv, or CPO (which by the
way Naxos distributes here in the US) that don't seem to make it an either
or case as you do. In the day of albums, there were many fine labels that
had quality notes, art work and fine music. Nonesuch, Turnabout, Crossroads,
Westminister Gold among them.  Considering how many cds Hyperion has
released, I doubt seriously that half of them are in the cut out bin in your
local Tower's. As a side note: I see alot of unmoved Naxos in our Manhattan
Tower's. But I don't gather from that it means Naxos isn't selling well.

Some of the rather unfair claims made by Naxo's creative PR dept have been
discussed here in this forum, so I will not repeat them.  See, I don't
believe its an either or case.  I am a big fan of Naxos cds, but they are
still ugly.

Kim Patrick Clow