From:
Kim Patrick Clow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 00:31:33 GMT
There is a new cd on DG-Archiv featuring String Concerti/Divertimenti
of Telemann, with Musica Antiqua Koln with Reinhard Goebbel conducting.
He also doubles as liner notes author.  I typically find his liner notes
very informative without ever being as dry as dust.

In this current release, he does make mention of two things that I was
wondering if people on the list would agree with or disagree with.

First: Reinhard Goebbel suggests that theres never ever been a
satisfactory explanation as to why Telemann turned down the offer of the
Kantorship of Leipzig.  I had thought it was pretty clear cut: Telemann
was having a tough time with his civic bosses in Hamburg who were giving
him a difficult time with outside musical activities such as conducting at
the Hamburg Opera house, and composing music for the Collegium Musicum that
he started in Hamburg, just like the one he started in Leipzig.  Why was
Telemann so busy with these activities? One word: MONEY.  He wasn't making
enough to make ends meet.  When the authorities in Hamburg realized the
potential of losing such a talent to Leipzig.  They relented and allowed
him to do what he wanted.  Any thoughts on this and why would Maestro
Goebbel (who is no slouch in understanding Baroque music and or history)
would suggest that theres never been a reasonable explanation of Telemann's
turning down the job in Leipzig?

Second: Reinhard Goebbel said that the position in Leipzig would had been
a step down for Telemann, and was only a step up for Bach.  Telemann had
kept his offical title of ChapelMaster from his previous courts by his
continual supply of music to those courts.  Bach, was moving up according
to Goebbel.  That I really would disagree with.  Telemann essentially had
the same sort of position in Hamburg: he was a civil servant for the
city-state of Hamburg.  Just as the position was in Leipzig.  Bach had
already held a position of ChapelMaster.  So I am a little muddled as to
why Maestro Reinhard Goebbel would make such a comment as this one.

As a side note: Graupner who was the Court Composer in Darmstadt, was
also under consideration for the Leipzig post.  But his Landgrave, Ernest
Ludwig, would NOT release him.  Graupner submitted two cantatas as a "test"
along with Bach.  It would be most interesting for a recording project to
record this "musical contest".

CPO released in April of 1999 a most interesting CD of Graupner's music,
and he is in dire need of having his works recorded.  Certainly his
symphonies, suites, and cantatas could be recorded by one of the more
dynamic record labels (Hyperion, Naxos: are you reading this?)

Thanks,

Kim