From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:49:40 -0700
David Runnion wrote:

>Alan Dudley wrote:
>
>>Is the character of a piece changed if it is transposed? Is this merely a
>>tradition carried over from the days when the keys were actually different
>>because of the tuning of the instruments used?
>
>I certainly think so. I can't imagine LvB9 in Ab.

As one who spent years producing loads of extended high A's demanded by
this Beethoven fellow, I read that most performances of this work in his
time were in A=415 and I envied the singers this.  Much less screeching
likely, as there is quite a difference for most in the throat, between
production of an Ab and an A...

Character of the piece doesn't change except that it's somewhat deeper in
sound, due to the lower pitch.  Certainly a bit mellower in those high
notes.

Andrys in Berkeley
http://www.andrys.com/books.html   search sheet music, videos, CDs
http://www.andrys.com/cbooks.html  newer classical music books