From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:32:31 +0200
Ballet works usually belong to the more obscure part of a composers output.
They are, after the premiere, rarely performed and often only *kept alive*
with an orchestral suite.  Nevertheless many ballet scores would deserve
it to be recorded in their entire length!  Some time ago I picked up John
McCabes new recording of his ballet Eduard II (Royal Ballet Sinfonia, Barry
Wordsworth) on Hyperion.  Again this was a very nice surprise with powerful
and exciting music!  Similarl impressive works I discovered in the past are
Hans Werner Henzes *Undine*, Benjamin Brittens *Prince of the Pagodas* and
Alfred Schnittkes *Peer Gynt*, not to forget Bartoks *Wooden Prince* which
I think is amongst my favourite works by this composer.  And of course I
have several recordings of the *Rite of Spring*!  There should be a couple
of ballets by Prokofiev and I have to confess I do not know any of these!
Which other 20th century ballet works would list-members suggest me to try?

Achim Breiling