From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 02:16:59 GMT
John Grant writes:

>So a question here for Donald.  I really liked your thumbnail evaluation
>(if I may call it that) of the WTC by different interpreters.  But, unless
>I'm mistaken, you didn't include Richter or Feinburg, although you've
>apparently listened to them.
>
>Why not?  And what do you think of them?

I was reviewing recordings of WTC II, and I currently only have Richter's
WTC I on Russian Revelation.  Concerning Feinburg's set, I haven't been
able to locate it in my home for many months; it was not one of the three
cd's inside my piano bench.  I'm close to considering it a lost cause and
purchasing another copy which will likely be a pain to acquire.

Some artists record excellent WTC sets, such as Hewitt, Aldwell, Suzuki,
Jarrett, and Schepkin.  A smaller number create unique and compelling
associations between the artist and Bach - that's where Richter, Feinburg,
and Tureck reside.  It's sort of the difference between an excellent
rib-eye steak at a medium-priced steak house and Filet Mignon at a five
star restaurant.  The former is great in isolation, but pales in comparison
to the latter which is an experience always to be remembered and savored.

>And although it is completely impossible to rate WTC Bks 1 and 2 as a
>whole, if I were FORCED to purchase the WTC, and could get Bk 1 and 2
>separately, I would buy Richter on Bk 1, Feinburg on Bk 2, with Tureck
>running an excruciatingly close second for Bk 1 and Bk 2.

Those sound like excellent choices, but my primary concern at this point
is to cook and eat a fine steak.  I love beef, and I'm loaded with protein.
With my now famous wife in Florida tending to her mom who broke both her
wrists, I am free to indulge in a "beef marathon", smoke in the house, and
wear yesterday's clothing.  These are the building blocks of a good life.
Something tells me I need my wife to come back real soon.

Don Satz