From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:37:14 -0700
Item, AP, London, A group of legendary songwriters named the song "In My
Life" written by John Lennon (Beatles, Rubber Soul album) as the greatest
 [pop?] song ever written.

What you might not know is that the instrumental lead break was a very
classical Baroque piano thing written by George Martin, their classically
trained producer, whose influence if felt in much of their work.  He also
played it for the album and is the only time he appears as a performer in
any of their work.  John felt that it was his" first real major piece of
work".

To me their rock idiom with Martin's classical influence produced what
might be called a Rock/Classical fusion in some compositions, the string
quartet backing for Yesterday, for example, and many others.

Just a interesting news item

Bill Pirkle

 [By my count there are more than 50 different covers of this song
 currently available on recordings.  Everyone from James Galway and
 Ofra Harnoy to Judy Collins to Ray Price to Larry Gatlin to Mahavishnuu
 Orchestra and Steel Pulse.  If a "classic" is at least partially defined
 by its performance longevity, then this song certainly passes that part
 of the test.  -Dave]