From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:53:57 -0500
D. Stephen Heersink wrote:

>"The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous,
>unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm,
>and timbre" is the definition the American Heritage Dictionary gives for
>"music." I think this definition "fits" most people's conceptual scheme
>of what makes music "music" and which distinguishes music from noise.

My dictionary, The Harvard Dictionary of Music "The term is derived from
the Greek, muse, and more specifically the art (technique) of the Muses.
Originally this term included all the cultural endeavors represented by
the nine Muses...As early as 300 B.C., Aristoxenos had divided music into
theoretical and practical music.  It was not until about 1500 that this
classification, still valid, was reintroduced."

Karl