From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 06:57:05 -0500
Satoshi Akima wrote:

>More importantly I have repeatedly stressed that listening to the most
>radically experimentalist work from the Cage or Stockhausen is a poor
>introduction to 20th century music.

I agree.  I have not understood the cause for the generalizations applied
to music written since 1900.  In some ways I fault the major performance
organizations that seemed to have favored the extremes.  I think it has
promoted some bizarre notion that classical music stopped with Tchaikovsky.
Like many predjudices, it is born out of a stereotypical notion.  Once that
initial barrier (that all music since 1900 is "radical" (or whatever) is
overcome, perhaps people will be able to be more open to listening.  Then
they can make decisions for themselves on a work by work basis, not on some
generalization.

Karl