From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 05:44:35 -0300
D. Stephen Heersink talks about the noise of a freeway:

>Schoenberg, Webern, et alia did not take their efforts to such
>extremes, but they similarly missed an important element of music.
>Music is in some way a song, or it's not music as it has been known
>for more than two millennia

In a former post, Mr Heersink pointed out very rightly the evils of
democracy.  Now he decided to give us a live example of it.  Instead
showing us the "reasons" for his dsiliking atonal music, this paragraph
only shows the size of his knowledge about the mentioned composers, and
about other subjects.  This is certainly a typical behavior of the
"milieu", and a true product of that:

>"democracy" [which] has allowed all sorts of self-serving, solipsistic,
>and nonsensical ideas and banal trivialities that appeal to the
>lowest-common denominator.

However, I must congratulate Mr. Heersink for his extensive knowledge of
what music has been in the last 2000 years.  Other people consacred their
lifes to this problem and didn't reach but a few conclusions.  So, Mr.
Heersink, assuming that you know so much: If Schoenberg and Webern "missed
an important element of music", why don't you go and teach it to them?.
Surely they will give you thanks democratically.

Pablo Massa