From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 16:42:56 -0700
Don Satz writes:

>For me, the main consideration is that most people, regardless of
>intellgence level, want music primarily for entertainment purposes.
>Any positive correlation between "smarts" and classical music pales in
>comparison.

I agree completely and would offer this, sure to be controversial post -
we are, in fact, in the entertainment business.  One could read a novel
(literature) (or see a movie) and perhaps write down what they have
learned.  One could go to an art exhibition (not modern art) and write
down what they had learned, or perhaps realized looking at great paintings.
But I doubt if one could listen to CM and write down what they had learned,
since music is such an abstract form of communication.

I think that Lizst and Liberace had that part figured out.  One quick
personal story to illustrate the point - While I was in Seoul staying at
the Intercontinental Hotel, after a couple of weeks I began missing playing
the piano. In their big lounge where businessmen (persons) met there was
a grand piano on a small stage.  I asked the host (manager) if I could play
it, guaranteeing him that it would be entertaining to the hotel guests -
that is, I was not just going to bang away at it.  He said "I'm sorry, we
do not let the guests play the piano".  My associate said something to him
in Korean, and he quickly motioned me to the instrument.  Not having played
for several weeks I was hesitant to play something from my limited but
difficult repertoire so I choose to just improvise something Chopin-ish
or Beethoven-ish (sometimes exercises can sound like good music).  For 30
minutes my hands flew over the keys with electrifying octaves, chromatic
runs, diminished runs, arpeggios, over and under melodies which I was
inventing as I went along (I was actually exercising by fingers).  I got a
grand applause from the guests.  Afterwards, I asked my Korean friend what
he had said to the manager.  He said "I told him you were a famous concert
pianist and that I was surprised that he did not recognize you".  We all
had a big laugh over that one.

My point is that what I played was not harmoniously clever, nor the
melodies I invented particularly good, but the people loved it, they had
actually stopped talking to listen.  They were entertained!  So I repeat,
at the risk of raising anger, we are ultimately in the entertainment
business, not the music science business.  Musicology is ultimately the
means to an end, not the end itself, IMHO.

While in Korea I attended a concert and the pianist was a friend of my
friends.  After the concert, Tch 1st in Bb, we all went to diner.  The
pianist was a young 20ish, guy who played quite well.  We became friends
as I was the only other pianist at the table (not in his class, of course).
As he indicated that he wished to tour, I gave him this advice.  "Never
forget that you are in show business just like Hollywood stars, TV
personalities, and famous athletes.  Few in your audience are going to care
how many competitions you have won or who your teachers were.  They are
there to be dazzled by your pyrotechniques, sensitivity, good looks and the
way you move your body while you are playing.  He went on to the Master's
Program at Julliard and I hope he takes my advice."

Bill Pirkle