From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 19:58:22 -0700
Jim Hunsley writes:

>So how do (Tortelier/Blomstedt) compare with that of Hindemith conducting
>"die Welt?"

I don't own the available Koch set featuring Hindemith conducting his
own works, but having heard a recording of the "Symphony in Bb for Winds"
conducted by the composer at my local college library awhile back, I would
say the Blomstedt reminds me more of Hindemith the conductor, while the
Tortelier is a little more on the glamorous side.  (Don't ask--I just hear
it that way.)

I know I should be a good boy and own such original documents, but I just
can't abide by mono/historic recordings as sources for repeated listening
pleasure.

John Smyth