From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:29:55 -0500
Achim Breiling wrote:

>MarcoPolo released last year 3 CDs with music by Aaron Avshalomoff
>(1895-1964).  They contain the sumphonies 1 and 2 and three concertos
>(flute, piano and violin).  I remember I read somewhere that this composer
>lived for long time in China and was thus influence by Asian music.
>Anybody knows something about this composer, the above mentioned works
>or these recordings?

I have all three discs and enjoy them.  The style is very conservative.
To some the music might sound a bit dated, but it is structurally strong
and the thematic material is fine.  He basically wrote late German Romantic
Music, but used non-western modes for the thematic material.  It is not
unlike a composer like Eichheim who wrote pieces like Bali and Japanese
Nocturne.  Aaron Avshalomoff's music is, to my ears, more engaging than a
composer like Eichheim.  however, I have not had the opportunity to hear
any Eichheim in a modern recording.

Avshalomoff's orchestration is quite good.  The music, while classically
structured, retains a rather attractive simplistic charm.  If one does not
listen carefully, you might think you are listening to one of those pieces
of those Chinese attempts at Western Art Music--those works written by a
group of composers.  However, I find it far more engaging.

Karl