From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 18:32:49 +0000
Jeremey McMillan wrote:

>And Liberace- Who was he? I've heard a lot about him being an entertainer
>and all, but I don't recall ever seeing a picture of him or anything.

Recently, the BBC showed an interesting documentary on Liberace.  (The
following information is taken from that program.)

Although he was clearly gay, he tried to keep this fact secret from his
fans.  This was because most of his fan base was female including lots of
older women.

In the 1950s a hostile journalist in England wrote an article stating that
Liberace was a mediocre musician and was a homosexual.  Liberace sued and
won the case.  I think he got 25000 pounds compensation.  A large amound
in the 50's.

Later he had a young lover in the US.  This person re-shaped his face
through surgery to try to look like Liberace.  Then Liberace changed his
face to meet the lover halfway, so to speak.

They fell out and his gay friend threatened to expose him.  But liberace
turned the tables by telling the world that his ex-lover was strung out
on cocaine and didn't know what he was saying.

When libeace died his relatives tried to avoid an autopsy but the county
sheriff appropriated the body and had one carried out.  This showed he
died from an AIDs related condition.

The general opinion seems to be that whilst Liberace was an excellent
showman he was only an average pianist.

Personally I feel sorry for that journalist.

Wasn't Chopin gay also? But really who cares? Unless it can be shown
that this fact has had a creative affect on the composer it is of no
consequence.

Bob Draper