From:
"Bailey, Bert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:21:04 -0400
This composer's Divertimento elegiaco for string orchestra recently came
to my attention through a Naxos disk: Swedish Orchestral Favourites, Vol
2 (also containing: Lars-Erik Larsson: Lyric Fantasy, Op. 54 / Gunnar
de Frumerie: Pastoral Suite for flute, string orchestra and harp, Op.
13B / Karl-Birger Blomdahl: Adagio from "The Wakeful Night" / L-E Larsson:
Little Serenade for string orchestra, Op. 12 / Kurt Atterberg: Suite No.
3 for violin, viola & string orchestra, Op. 19, No. 1 / L-E Larsson:
Adagio for string orchestra, Op. 48 / Sarah Lindloff, Flute / Johanna
Persson, Violin / Sara Troback, Viola / Swedish Chamber Orchestra / Petter
Sundkvist.  8.553715).

The Rangstrom was my favourite piece in this anthology, although the rest
of the CD is enjoyable as well.  (not yet sure about Vol 1)

There was nothing else in the CD shop by Rangstrom.  But the rep.  reported
seeing a well-priced 3-volume CPO set of Rangstrom's symphonies arrive and
leave his store within twenty minutes!  There's no accounting for just why
that happened, but before I could bat an eye he'd ordered me another set,
no obligation.

My liking is based on only 15:38 mins.  of music.  I see Rangstrom died in
1947 (at 63), whereas the sound of the Divertimento suggested to me that
he'd be more recent ...maybe contemporaneous with NV Bentzon (b.  1919), or
perhaps Eduard Tubin (1905-82), both of whom I enjoy.  Even Vasks and Tuur
came to mind!

Could anyone advise me about what to expect with this music, and perhaps
this set of symphonies? Maybe some influences, kindred music, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa