From:
Jeremey McMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:27:15 EDT
I must say that some of you on this list have really given some VERY good
reasons to contradict my theory on the connection of CM and intelligence.
I feel a need to compliment Matts Norman on his reply.

In some areas I must admit that I was wrong and you all were right about my
theory.  When I posted the message, I forgot to think about the savants and
not-so-bright people who have perfect pitch.  I'm surprised I didn't take
a moment to think about savants because I saw a documentary of them on CBS.
Some of them have an uncanny ability to play the piano but can't find their
way back home when they go outside!  They can't tell you how they play the
piano, they just play.  It's as natural to them as breathing.  I was just
thinking about the movie RainMan.  Some autistic people have musical
ability and some are very gifted with numbers.(These are the exceptional
ones, though)

As far as I'm concerned, some people like the savants, have a gift from
God.  That's the only way I can explain it.  Even people with Perfect Pitch
(who are not savants) may need some kind of training to ever be a good
musician.  I mean, they still have to learn technique and fingerings.

But for the people who can understand music notation (they may or may not
have perfect pitch) need to have some kind of heightened intelligence to be
able to rapidly interpret the symbols into audible music for the rest of
the world to hear and enjoy.  (People have always prized my "100 mph"
sightreading skills)

-Is anyone up for contradicting that last paragragh?-

Jeremey McMillan