From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 07:26:19 -0500
Jeremey McMillan:

>Parents even let their newborns and toddlers listen to classical music in
>hope of building their brain.  I even saw a CD at the store titled, Build
>your Baby's Brain through the power of Beethoven.  So, from what I gather,
>a lot of people have a high tendency to associate Classical music and
>Intelligence.  What do you all think?

Marketing, pure marketing.  I know lots of very intelligent (or competent)
people with no interest whatsoever in classical music.  I also know some
less-than-very-intelligent people who adore the music.  It's an idea that
seems to be reinforced by the movies, which also often use a taste for
classical music to indicate aristocratic, genius-level evil (villain
played by Alan Rickman or George Sanders).

Steve Schwartz