From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 12:36:26 +0200
Female Schatz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I've always found that Mahler's work seem driven by very passionate
>emotions, but I have never had a chance to read the programs that were
>produced and withdrawn for his works.  Is there any source where these
>are reprinted?

I don't know for sure if you mean what Mahler himself wrote on his works
or what.  But Mahler contributed with something new and fresh to music,
and was attacked aggressively by the anti-semitic press, which ridiculed
both himself and his work, and tried to scare away his audiences with bad
reviews, articles and innuendo.  As far as I know Mahler only at one single
occasion wrote a program for his audience where he defended himself.  Somwe
biographers have obviously read it, so there might exist a copies for
example in the Mahler library in Paris.  or in Wien, but that you should
know?

Mahler was a master of expressing his passionate emotions, yes, an
observation that Freud also made without having heard his music, but had
talked with him.  Freud writes: "I admire in this man his naturally
excellent ability to emotions and emotional problems..."

Mats Norrman