From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 01:27:46 -0400
While it is wonderful to have Jascha Horenstein's performance, hard to
obtain since the demise of Unicorn-Kanchana, available again on Opera
d'Oro as OPD-1233, it is important to note the following:

Although described as "Live performance Copenhagen, March 27, 1972",
the performance is not that broadcast by the EBU from Danmarks Radio,
Copenhagen, it is a re-release of the composite Unicorn version, based
upon that broadcast, which first appeared on LP and then on CD.

I was Jascha Horenstein's assistant for the last three years of his life
and have served as artistic executor of his estate since  his death in
1973.

In December 1973, [with Horenstein's prior consent] I returned to
Copenhagen and recorded the major scenes from Acts I and IV with Boris
Christoff to cover passages which had not gone to their satisfaction in
either the performance or in rehearsals. Approximately 25 minutes of the
final release comes from that session.

This was credited correctly in the original LP and CD releases; one review
suggested that my contributions fit so well as to be undetectable; I still
cherish that as a major compliment.

Yours sincerely,

Joel Lazar
Bethesda MD