From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:47:30 -0700
Susan Juhl ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Imagine a symphony concert hall [Davies Hall in San Francisco] with 22
>symphony musicians on the stage and an audience of amateur musicians who
>also have instruments.  Put Michael Tilson Thomas in front of them.  ...

I'm still wondering why they needed a conductor.

>This work is in 53 bars.  The rehearsal was during the interval, but I
>stayed to hear it rather than wander the lobby.  The score was projected on
>two huge screens.  Each bar was numbered.  It was easy to follow the
>music.

Well "bars" isn't quite right: the 53 individual thematic cells aren't
all the same length for one thing - they range from a single beat long
(#16) to 28 beats (#35)

>...  That's the Piano Circus  20 minute version.

20 minutes seems pretty short. The orginal recording by Riley lasts 43.
I've taken part in at least a couple of performances (these were all 30
years ago now) and I seem to recall an hour wasn't unusual. I think playing
a figure just once would be a very unusual event rather than anything like
the norm.

Incidentally, the original Columbia Masterworks LP issue (MS7178), had a
gatefold sleeve, with the complete score printed on the inside - this must
be virtually unique.

Deryk Barker