From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 01:19:28 -0500
David Harbin wrote:

>Can I ask: do you think that someone can become addicted to buying
>classical CDs?

Yes indeed, and given my compulsive nature, I will stick to cds instead of
more dangerous pursuits!

>Do you get a rush of adrenalin when you savour the thought of that next
>purchase?

No, but I fantasize about owning a huge collection some day. (It goes up
and down right now as I trade and barter and sell "mistakes")

>Has your collection grown so large that you couldn't possibly listen to
>half of it again in a month?

I am there, but as  a performing musician, I am glad that I have the
repertoire I have. It's a handy reference when I am contemplating program
decisions.

>Do you feel just a tiny bit embarrassed, wondering where all of the money
>has gone, when you take a guilty glance at those piles of CD cases?

Heck no! Some people waste their money on worthless pursuits like gambling,
drinking etc. I am very happy to have the pleasure of my cd collection (and
my books and films for that matter too!)

>Do you think that the process of purchasing and buying the CD has
>overtaken the enjoyment of the music itself?

Perhaps, but what I really regret is that my schedule only allows for late
night listening at present, and I often fall asleep before the disc is over
and miss half the music. This is because of my own lifestyle choices, but
it's still a shame!

>As a challenge is there anyone out there who wants to join me and not buy
>any CDs for the last 6 months of this year?

NO WAY! There is always something new to explore. It's a noble thought, but
I haven't the will power!

>Laying down the gauntlet,

And I shall leave it lie! (lay?) rats!

Kevin