From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 18:49:26 -0500
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Can I ask: do you think that someone can become addicted to buying
>classical CDs?

Yes. It is theoretically possible, I suppose. I can't think of anybody who
is actually so afflicted. But I will keep thinking.

>...  Do you feel just a tiny bit embarrassed, wondering where all of the
>money has gone, when you take a guilty glance at those piles of CD cases?

Yes. I even feel guilty if an evening passes without me listening to my CDs.

>Do you think that the process of purchasing and buying the CD has
>overtaken the enjoyment of the music itself?

Not quite yet. Buts its gaining!!!

>I am concerned and so as an experiment am not going to buy any CDs from
>the beginning of July until 2001 (unless it is a present for someone else).

No fair  circulating extensive wish lists before birthday, Christmas and
Chanukah.

>Instead I shall revisit and enjoy my own CDs, BBC Radio 3 and an excellent
>collection in our city library. As a challenge is there anyone out there
>who wants to join me and not buy any CDs for the last 6 months of this
>year?

Wow!!!! the idea of abstaining for 6 months is also causing the adrenalin
to flow!!!

>Perhaps we can email each other fortifying encouragement when the lure of
>the bargin bin, internet sites or the high street CD store alomost gets too
>much.

I need a twelve point program.

>Laying down the gauntlet,

Tempting, very tempting. But heck, I can stop anytime I want to!!!!
Seriously- worth thinking about. No, I mean it. A reasonable approach: use
the money (and the not inconsiderable browsing time)to go to real live
concerts.

Incidentally, Mr. Heersink wonders how Alex Ross concocted his
characterization of CD collectors. I don't think that this is a big mystery
- Ross clearly is one. But the collection of CDs is not all that solitary,
as this list shows!! We can't wait to share our experiences.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University