From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:14:55 +1000
Jim Paterson asked, concerning Shchedrin's "The Carmen Ballet":

>Is this work recorded, are there other notable works by the Shchedrin,
>and are they characterised by fun experimental elements like this?

It has been recorded at least several times.  The best version I've heard
is still the original Bolshoi Theatre/Gennady Rozhdestvensky on Melodiya
but its availability might be problematical.

I've not heard a lot of Shchedrin otherwise.  His first piano concerto is
in similar vein to Carmen and very attractive, IMHO.  His second symphony
and Old Russian Circus Music on Chandos are worth exploring, but I will
leave his opera, Dead Souls, as terra incognita - ten minutes was more than
enough!

Richard Pennycuick