From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:09:03 -0700
Steve Schwartz responds to me:

>>I once tried to find some unknown, perhaps subconscious, relationship
>>between the art forms of painting, sculpture, poetry, literature,
>>cullinary, architecture and dance.  Since these appeal to the 5 senses
>>(and 6th as well) and to our emotions, and since our minds examine all
>>phenomenon in the same way,
>
>Really?  This is news to me (it wouldn't take much).  How does anyone know?

I was asserting that we all have the same brain that works the same
internally and can do things as diverse as mathematics, art, music,
writing, and etc.  It would be different if the great composers had a
different brain structure than the great writers.  Of course some of
their brain areas might have been enlarged due to neural joining through
experience and study.but we all start off the same except for left/right
brain orientation which we may come hardwired with.

>The "shape" idea comes from the music's notation in the score, which is,
>of course, visual.

Not sure I agree.  I can think of a "rounded" melody, a melody with a
"edge" on it, a "sharp" melody, a "flat" melody, an art deco melody, a
rococo melody without seeing the score.  The shape could have as much to do
with consonnances, dissonnaces and rhythms in the melody as the rising and
falling of the pitches.  That's what I am trying to find out from the list.

>>The object of this experiment is to be able to describe a piece of music
>>in visual terms.  In that way we may be able to talk about John Lennon's
>>Imagine (popular) with the same vocabulary that we describe Beethovens
>>Pastoral symphony and Monet's Sunflowers.
>
>"Looks at" also means "examine," probably because the general population's
>visual sense is so strong.  Also, one *does* look at a score.

That is in fact the reason to talk about music in visual terms.  We get,
some say, 80% our our experience visually.  Therefore a visual appraoch to
examining anything might yield insight to it.  Hey, its just a mind game.

>How do you know this isn't a matter of 1) cultural conditioning or 2)
>a choice forced on your respondents?

If it was forced, it was forced by thier subconscious, I didn't hold a gun
to their head.

>I didn't respond because I simply didn't think there were meaningful
>analogies between some of the items.

No problem, unless you don't think there is ANY analogies between painting
and music, you might take a shot at adding to the categories.  Come on
Steve, give it a shot, its just a game.  Remember we learn from the bad as
well as the good.  The bad teaches us what not to do or what can't be done.
It might be a revelation to prove that their is absolutely no relationships
between visual painting and aural music.  You have a chance to go down in
history:-)

They laughed at me back at the university.  Said my theories were crazy.
But they'll pay, they'll all pay.  Ah ha ha ha ha ha ..Ah ha ha ha ha...
Ah ha ha ha ha ha...

Bill Pirkle