From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 01:57:34 -0500
Jeremey McMillan wrote:

>I'm just about to turn 17.  I have a friend that thinks I am really lame
>because I chose to buy a CD featuring Beethoven's "Emporer", concerto
>instead of a rap CD. ...

I was very much like you when I was your age some 20 years ago.  You are
not going to change the tastes of the general public.  Most of your peers
are going to prefer DMX to Dvorak.  You may as well get used to it now.
What I would suggest is that you open your own mind to all kinds of music.
I am a rabid fan of Steely Dan.  I adore Jan Garbarek and Miles Davis.
I dig Dead Can Dance and Bela Fleck (whom I am proud to call a good
acquaintence if not a close friend) and I love Iris Dement, who is one of
the twangiest folk singers ever to make a record.  I get great pleasure
from the folk singer Iain Matthews, and Judy Collins can make me shiver!

I have a Master's degree in music and 50 hours of Doctoral study.
Limiting yourself to one genre only is not only silly, but it's unnecessary
self-inflicted punishment.  With all due respect, lighten up a bit.  There
is nothing wrong with your love of great music.  But, there is all kinds
of great music.  I can't imaging life without Robert Fripp, Brian Eno,
Sarah Vaughn and Ella Fitzgerald.  Chet Baker and Laurie Anderson are as
essential to my musical well-being as Beethoven and Palestrina.  Great
music making is great music making, and it takes on all sizes and shapes.
If people make fun of you, don't sweat it.  Just consider yourself lucky
enough to have gained a good knowledge of great music at so young an age.

Kevin Sutton
Ecclectic!