From:
Todd Michel McComb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 17:58:22 -0700
Chris Bonds wrote:

>It's usually better to make your point by saying something polite

I agree.  Going down some "combative" path is a bad idea, but difficult
to avoid sometimes, at least for some people.

One of my most humorous moments in a classical music store was having
a clerk of some imagined refinement trying to explain something, showing
a recording, and having me say casually "Oh, yes," as I flipped over the
disc and pointed to my name, "That's me." Bad luck on his part.

Of course, not being a part of automotive society, I tend to be severely
dressed down when I go to stores, wearing t-shirts and sweaty.  I really
don't care.  I walk around as if I owned the place, which may or may not
be good, but I know some other patrons are taken aback.

For my radio anecdote early in this thread, it was my grandmother who
gave me an old transistor radio when I was about 5.  I happened across
the classical station on it, and would listen to it any chance I got.
I am quite certain there are people in Indiana who are involved with
classical music or at least collect it, but while I lived there, I never
met one aside from teachers.  It was all me being eccentric, basically.

Todd McComb