From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:54:47 -0500
Kevin Sutton vs. David Runnion:

>>Playing without the music in front of you frees one to be more creative,
>>somehow, more intimate and at ease with the music.  It seems more
>>sponteneous.  Also, you can look around as you play without worrying
>>about losing your place.
>
>I have to disagree with my esteemed colleague here.  I don't buy into the
>memory=more free and intimate argument.

Having performed both ways, I must say my experience, such as it is,
supports David rather than Kevin.  Almost all the lucky accidents of
performance - when you had no idea that music could sound so good - have
occurred when I sang or played without score.  On the other hand, I do
agree with Kevin that you can do more repertoire the other way, and that's
worthwhile.

Steve Schwartz