From:
Des Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:03:21 GMT
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The octet, the cello quintet, the piano sonatas were not produced by a
>sweet child.

This reminds me of a few thoughts I had the other day about whether or not
one could determine the greatest composer.  The criteria:

(i) One's own Personal Taste - affective facet

(ii) The collective taste of all those who listen to music, as far as one
can possibly know it

(iii) historical importance as composer or Way Station of personality and
skills - intentional facet

(iv) A judgement based on the Philosophy of Aesthetics (a subject in which
I am interested but not an expert)

(v) A more 'religious', brainstorming, collective unconscious, Platonic
Form of the perfect composer, hitting the right chord without any
logical/aesthetic back-up....

Many of these overlap.  I am primarily a listener to 20th century music,
but all in all, my vote goes to Schubert, based on five these criteria.

Des Lewis
Clacton-on-Sea, England
htto://dflewis.cjb.net/