From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 20:05:58 +0200
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I thought Korngold's Op 1 would probably be interesting.  It's a piano
>trio.  I've never heard it, but someone on the list undoubtedly has.
>What's it like?

In a word, amazing.  This kid was 12 years old when he wrote this piece.
12.  Have to hear it to believe it, it is the work of a mature genius,
AFAIC.  Rich, complex, shades of Stauss and Mahler, foreshadowings of
serial Shoenberg, evocative, funny, truly an amazing work.

My trio is working on this piece now for performances at the end of the
month, and in the course of researching the background, I was sent the
following anecdote about a rehearsal of the piece for a 1910 performance
in New York with Bruno Walter at the piano, violinist Friedrich Buxbaum
and cellist Arnold Rose (related to Leonard?):

The domineering relationship between Korngold's parents and their son was
highlighted when, during the rehearsal, Papa Korngold remonstrated with
Bruno Wallter, 'It's too fast!', while Mama exclaimed, 'No, it's too slow!'
Little Erich, squashed between them, said brightly, 'I think it's just
perfect!', at which both parents rounded on him in unison: 'You shut up!'

David Runnion
Mallorca, Spain
http://www.serafinotrio.com