From:
Dave Pitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:21:41 -0800
Walter Meyer wrote [concerning Glould's Goldbergs]:

>All I remember was that I had heard a most illuminating performance of
>music that was truly sublime.

Well that pretty much sums up the Gould disagreement in my mind.  If it
sounds good, it is good.  And that Gould brought the wonderful Goldberg
Variations to many people for the first time can not be overlooked.
Whether his vocalizations are bothersome or whether they are a stroke
of genius really doesn't matter in the long run.

Like his contemporary, E. Power Biggs (another controversial figure),
Gould introduced thousands of people to a particular kind of music played
a particular way.

(Being a Bach purist, I *prefer* not to listen to ANY reading of the
Goldberg's played on a pianoforte, but if I did...)

Dave Pitzer