HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Robert L. Schuyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:53:16 -0500
What is the matter with our profession. To say that the study of religion
(or architecture, or motels, or political economy, or ceramics, or
childhood, etc. etc. etc.) is a legitimate topic for historical [not
"historic"] archaeologists in no manner suggests that archaeology is
the center of such studies. It also does not fail to recognize that
clusters of scholars, and disciplines, are equally or more centered on
such topics. What are historical archaeologists to do, sit around and
only talk about how they dig holes in the ground?

I agree with Ned. We need to not only be something else (anthropologist,
historian, etc.) but we need to actively build ties to other scholarly
fields and their research interests. At the same time a true historical
archaeology should not be a field focused on techniques or only antiquarian
topics. How can we discuss, study or contribute to an understanding of the
past if we remove an arbitrary section of data from the whole picture? We
need MORE attention and integration of data from documents, oral history,
period images and ethnography in our papers, presentations and final
products. Those historical archaeologists who have taken such a holistic
approach in the past are, I believe, the only ones who have had an impact
on general scholarship and have also reached the general public (e.g. Jim
Deetz, Ivor Noel Hume).

        Enough!

                                        Bob Schuyler

Robert L. Schuyler