HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Maddy Atkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:53:58 +1100
The idea of selling artefacts raises interesting issues re: the
relationship between material culture heritage and present day people. Are
the proceeds of "dig sales" shared with modern day indigenous groups or any
other descendants who claim a historical connection with the site?
Possible administrative/legal nightmares looming?

At 01:49 PM 28/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I symaphize somewhat with the concept of selling relatively recent duplicate
>items like bottles and nails to help finance museums or research projects.
Many