HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Richard Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:44:40 -0500
Mary et. al.

        This past summer I directed a project for the Cultural Resource
Consulting Group which examined late-18th and early-19th century
deposits associated with the Wardell House, in Shrewsbury, Monmouth
County, New Jersey.  The house--no longer standing--was once the home of
a prominent Quaker merchant.  The report is in preparation, but I can
get you a copy of the draft if you would like. We excavated a large
trash pit, which contained substantial quantities of creamware, redware,
and some fragmentary wine bottles.

        John McCarthy also published an interesting article on Quakers in the
Journal of Middle Atlantic Archaeology Vol. 15, 1999, pp. 137-157.  It
is titled "Eighteenth-Century Quaker Lifestyles: Philadelphia's Merchant
Elite at the Front and Dock Streets Site."

All the best,

Rich Veit