HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Wm Liebeknecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:46:35 -0400
milk glass as well as other canning jar lid liners were used to prevent the
taste of zinc from entering the canned food.  Boyd's patent I believe was
sometime in the early 1860s.  As I am at home I'm not sure of the exact
date.  The 5 does not reflect the size of the jar as most manufacturers made
the same size opening for different sized jars.  This not to say that there
are not different size lid liners...there are as well as a variety of jar
closures.  There are books devoted to canning jars, in fact there is a real
good series "The Red Books" used by collectors which are very helpful.  As
far as the use of PORCELAIN, I have seen it on milk glass that could almost
pass for porcelain and I've seen it on milk glass that this is almost
transparent with a dash of white...go figure.  Good luck in your search

Bill Liebeknecht
Hunter Research Inc.
Trenton, NJ