Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:31:33 +1000
From:
Matthew Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Alan Dudley wrote:

>We had Daniel Harding here in Brisbane on 16th and 17th June this year.
>I have no argument at all with Robin's enthusiasm.

I must concur also.  I was fortunate to play in this concert and enjoyed
working with Harding.  He is an energetic rehearser - knows that his time
is limited and does not waste any of it.

>He conducted a programme of Brett Dean, a local-born violist/composer who
>in 1985 became a permanent member of the BPO, (and, for all I know, still
>is - in 1995 he was soloist with them under Claudio Abbado), Bartok and
>Berlioz.

Brett is no longer with the BPO as I understand it.  He has bought (or will
buy) a home on the Sunshine Coast and has moved back to sunny Queensland
to concentrate on his composing career, one that is taking off due to the
success of his piece "Ariel's Music", written for clarinettist and brother
Paul.  More of his music will be performed shortly at the QSO studios for
their next Meet the Composer concert.

>Tonight is Tuomas Ollila and Stephanie McCallum playing Adams, Sibelius
>Kats-Chernin and Tchaikovsky.  Must hurry!

I hoped you enjoyed this one Alan.  What did you think of the Kats-Chernin
"Displaced Dances"?

Matthew Gillett