Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 13:47:16 +1000
From:
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]>
Mats Norrman asks:

>Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]> concludes:
>
>>This brings us into the depth of the most philosophically influential
>>movements in literary circles in recent memory: That of Derrida and the
>>issue of Deconstructionism.
>
>has Derrida written anything specifically on Wagner?

As far as I know he hasn't.  I guess it reflects the fact that music is no
longer considered worthy of being discussed at an inspired level.  We live
in an age where far from being supreme amongst the arts, it is considered
a sort of wallpaper.  I wonder if anybody has picked up on the fact that
my concept of 'subtext', used for want of a better term, something that the
text says without quite saying it, like a SUBmerged text hidden 'between
the lines' is actually very Post-modernist.  It is about a text saying
something different to what it says.  Of course I could have used another
term such as 'metatext' but I prefer the prefix 'sub' because it implies
something hidden.

I must say I have often wondered what Derrida might have said about
interpretation of musical 'texts/scores' had he been more musically
literate, like Theodor Adorno (who was pupil of Berg).

Satoshi Akima