Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:13:35 -0400
From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Donald Satz writes:

>My point is that I don't believe I would ever be listening to classical
>music without that educational background as a child.  Also, I know that I
>have more insights into the music than I would without the background; some
>of that training does seem to stick throughout the years

Don, don't sell yourself short.  I think you would have found your way to
classical music regardless.  To use an analogy, growing a plant requires
both a seed and fertile ground.  The seeds are in the air, randomly blown
around.  For every child who responds to such an education, there is one
who does not.  And many of us discovered classical music without any
*formal* exposure.  You'd have to lead a pretty sheltered life to never
hear any classical music at all, and if the "ground is fertile", those
random seeds will take root.

len.