Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 18:55:18 -0500
From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Len Fehskens:

>Nor can I accept the implication that when somebody tries something and
>doesn't like it, if they do not continue forcing themself to "get it"
>they are closeminded, intolerant, etc..

It's probably something I said.  But I believe it's true in this sense:
the moment you leave off judging an individual work or refuse to hear and
individual work because it's generally speaking like other works, you've
closed your mind to it.  Your analogy to coffee is mostly correct, to the
extent that you realize we're only speaking about taste, rather than
absolute.  I've closed my mind to lots of music, to the extent that I feel
I will waste my time if I hear another example.  On the other hand, I admit
that I have closed my mind.

Steve Schwartz