Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:54:15 -0400
From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Donald Satz wrote:

>Are any list members familar with the music of Ladmirault.  If so, please
>provide a description of his music; any references to other composers would
>also be helpful.  Based on his dates, I'm assuming his music is of a
>late-romantic style, but that's all I have to go on at this point.

 From the 1980 New Grove article (Volume X, p. 355]

   ...began to compose at age 8, first opera produced in Nantes [home
   city] in 1893; studied in Paris with Faure and Gedalge, then returned
   to Nantes where he taught at the local Conservatoire and eventually
   became its director.  Active in many national as well as regional
   musical associations, contributor to national music journals.
   Described as a "Breton regionalist" much as Severac was a Lenguedoc
   regionalist.

 From this one would assume a post-Romantic language tinged with
impressionism.

I was delighted to find that the author of this Groves article was Elaine
Brody, my department chairman at NYU in the mid-1960s and author of a
spendid study of 19th- and early 20th-century French music in its social
and interdisciplinary contexts, "Paris, The Musical Kaleidoscope 1870-1925"
 [Brazillier, 1987].

Her doctoral dissertation on Severac and her unflagging enthusiasm for
him and his contemporaries got many of us interested in the minor French
composers of that generation and in their regional, as well as Parisian
connections.

Joel Lazar