Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 17:50:41 +1000
From:
Alan Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Jeremey McMillan wrote:

>The Roland has weighted action just like an acoustic piano. Can someone
>on this list tell me how the weighted action on digital pianos work.  My
>brother owns a digital piano and he doesn't have a clue, either.

I believe, but am not certain, that the speed at which the key descends
is measured and controls the volume of the sound.  It could also modify
the length of the attack part of the sound, or the ratio between the volume
of the attack part and the continuing part.

The speed could easily be measured by having two contacts (or other
sensors) at different points in the key's travel, and measuring the time
between the pulse from the two sensors.

If someone who really knows about this can show that I am barking up the
wrong tree (to coin a phrase:-)>) I promise to bear no grudge.  I would
prefer learning something new to avoiding the appearance of stupidity.

Alan Dudley