Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:31:44 EDT
From:
"Stephen C. Benson" <[log in to unmask]>
Dorothy Smith writes:

>Excellent use of one art (literature) to illuminate another (music)--never
>an easy thing to do.

Tomorrow being Bloomsday, I cannot let this opportunity pass.  One of the
best examples I know is the Siren episode in James Joyce's "Ulysses".  (I
apologize for the quotation marks.  I wish there were some way to indicate
titles of books properly when sending messages from one email platform
to another!) That chapter, the setting of which is the concert hall, is
dedicated to the art of music; pays tribute to the organ of the body,
the ear; and incorporates a literary technique analogous to the fugue.
According to Stuart Gilbert's intriguing analysis, the chapter "both in
structure and in diction goes far beyond all previous experiments in the
adaptation of musical technique and timbre to a work of literature." And,
what is most important, it is a sheer joy to read!

Steve Benson