Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:20:10 -0700
From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
My favourite Shostakovich recordings are:

1.  No6 Jarvi/RNSO.  Hauntingly beautiful first movt followed by a
propulsive and almost sonically overpowering scherzo.  A real stunner.

2.  No4  Jarvi/RSNO again.  Wierd.  Musical equivlent of a migraine in
parts.  No holds barred conducting, playing and recording.

3.  No5  Stokowski/LSO live at the Proms (1962?)  Very quick interpretation
but with a galvanising power.  A sense of drama and line.

4.  Violin concerto no1 (almost a symphony - I hear howls of derision here)
Mordkovich/RSNO/Jarvi again again.  Instense cadenza, mesmerising violin
playing.  Final moments sounds like someone running (with joy?).

Sorry none are budget recordings, but I believe that all are worth the
outlay.

All the best,

David H.
Nottingham, UK