Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:54:26 -0400
From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Chris Bonds responded to John G. Deacon:

>>Is this a question of a lack of interest, a lack of funding, too time
>>consuming for academics or is there some other explanation?
>
>I wonder if the early opposition to opera and musical theater in Puritan
>New England might still be having some residual influence.

Naaa. We DID have Sarah Caldwell and a functioning opera company for a
few very exciting years. Before that, the Met used to tour here. I don't
know what happened to Caldwell ... never wanted to follow the gossip.

We do have pre and post Broadway shows, and we have concert versions of
operas.  The many colleges around here also put on operas. I haven't seen
a Puritan in YEARS.

We certainly have enough first-class musicians to play in the pit and sing
on the stage. It's a huge mystery to me why there isn't flourishing opera
here. We've got everything else. I'd organize an opera company myself but
I'm about a billion short.

Mimi Ezust across the Charles River