Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 20:18:34 +0100
From:
Jim Paterson <[log in to unmask]>
David Pitzer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It can be (and has been) shown that rhythm is the most important element
>in music.  This often surprises but it can be easily demonstrated that a
>"tune" (i.e.  melody) cannot exist without its underlying rhythm whereas
>rhythm can identify a tune. The Russian composer Rodion Shchedrin
>demonstrates this effectively in his "Carmen Ballet Suite", for example.
>It can also be easily and quickly demonstrated on, say, the piano with a
>simple folk tune.

I've not heard it since, but I recall hearing such a work a long time ago
(20 years or so?) on the radio, although I didn't recall the composer's
name. There were sections of it with particularly percussive versions of
the Carmen themes. I remember being particularly struck by the toreador's
song which only consisted of the accompaniment, but being so well known to
listeners, the mind's ear automatically filled in the missing theme -
audience participation indeed!

Is this work recorded, are there other notable works by the Shchedrin,
and are they characterised by fun experimental elements like this?

Jim Paterson