Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 06:39:41 -0400
From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
I absolutely agree on everything Steve says here. I'm just adding comments.

Steve Schwartz wrote:

>This CD brings together three different approaches from three very
>different composers -

I would add the William Schuman and Asron Copland Thirds to the above list.

>Most of Harris's other symphonies have made their way back to oblivion -
>a shame, really, since he is an incredibly interesting musical mind.

Try the Fifth (though there are different versions) and the Seventh. Not to
mention the Albany issue of Eight and Nine. But the Third is probably the
best.

>Bernstein recorded the third at least twice - once for CBS/Sony and later
>for DGG, both with the New York Philharmonic. ...

Bernstein also recorded the Schuman and Copland Thirds twice, and I agree
with Steve's remarks regarding them as well. I remember when he remade the
Thirds of Schuman, Harris, and Copland. He played all three in a single
concert in New York. I flew down for it. It was great to hear the pieces
all in one concert, but I never had any doubt that the performances did not
mention the old Columbia recordings.

>... I prefer Bernstein's reading by far to Andrew Schenck's on Koch. The
>New York Philharmonic plays better than the New Zealand Symphony, and
>Bernstein invests the work with far greater depth.

I agree. And try the Jarvi. It brings out some darkness that I never
thought was in this symphony. And speaking of Schenck, while his Second is
nothing special, his reading of the Third on the same disc, is. It is more
quiet and serious and in some ways even more moving than the Second. These
two are issued by themselves and also with a First (an odd, but
interesting--and more modern sounding--work by Sedares.

>Of all his symphonies that I've heard, I like Diamond's fourth the best.

Me too.

>For me, this repertoire - American neo-classicism - makes up the core
>of what Bernstein did best.

Agreed. To me, in many ways his work on pieces like this marks one of his
greatest achievements.

Roger Hecht