Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 21:45:02 -0500
From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Robert Gray wrote:

>Following up on Don's observation, I wonder if the striking and sorrowful
>lack of advertising in IRR isn't a reflection of similar concern on the
>part of record labels.

I find the lack of advertising most refreshing, and I find it neither
striking nor sorrowful.

>Personally I wish they included images of the CD covers, and find the
>layout monotonous (perhaps due to the absence of advertising) and hard to
>consult, since limiting the use of type faces and sizes makes it harder to
>quickly identify the information I'm looking for.  (Yes, I read most record
>magazines cover to cover, but I tend to skim through an issue first,
>eagerly seeking out new treasures.)

This is a typical modern reaction.  If we can't see it in pictures, then
it must not be valuable.  If it is not in glitzy typefaces with fancy
graphics, then it isn't interesting.  This is typical laziness on the part
of a spoon fed society.  Gaining knowledge takes some effort, and in the
case of IRR, the effort has a just reward!

>Finally, I have been spoiled by the CD excerpts that are now an integral
>part of Gramophone (and Diapason in France), and which regularly allow me
>to discover music I might otherwise have overlooked.

We in the US don't get the cover cd on Gramophone.  That is a loss.  I toss
the BBC magazine and keep the disc!  Far better strategy where that rag is
concerned!

Kevin Sutton