Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 04:38:21 PDT
From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Walter Meyer responded to my post:

>As to the Mozart "Haydn" Quartets, I've given up rising to Mozart's
>defense on this list.  I probably wouldn't argue the virtues of
>antibiotics to a Christian Scientist either.  Mozart needs no champions
>but has always had them from Wagner and Tchaikowsky in the last century
>to almost every composer of prominence in this.

hey, Walter: I don't think I made myself clear in my post.  I also
was trying to compare the performance of the quartets of two different
composers by the same quartet.  It sounds as if the Juilliard enjoyed
playing the Schubert more than the Mozart.  I wasn't attacking Mozart.
After only a few listenings, it seems to me that his best work is not
found in his string quartets.  I agree with you completely that Mozart
does not need champions.

All the best,

Ron Chaplin