Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:05:38 -0400
From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Now someone explain to me why all of Haydn's works come from Hoboken, my
>port of entry when I first came to the USA.

I'm not too clear on this, but it's my understanding that the first person
to really be in a position to catalog most of Haydn's known works at the
time (late 1700s) actually spent part of his musical career in the New
World.  There's a letter from this Antony van Bayonne, who described a
little town on the Hudson to his friend P.D.Q.  Bach, who was so inspired
that he wrote his Christmas Carol "O Little Town of Hackensack".

Later on, Antony moved downriver and set up a publishing house in another
town, and decided for marketing purposes to change his name to that of the
settlement.  Hence, Antony van Hoboken's contribution to the world of music
lovers in the form of the Haydn catalog.

And we're all pretty damned lucky we don't have to refer to Haydn's musical
works by their Bayonne Numbers, let alone what would have happened had all
this occurred during Hoboken's later residence in East Rutherford.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Bill H.